Healthy steamed vegetables
This is a healthy steamed vegetable recipe. Steaming is a healthy easy way to cook vegetables. It’s delicious, too!
- 2 tbsp Butter or margarine
- 1 Small clove garlic crushed
- 3 cups Mixed fresh vegetables like zucchini, carrots,broccoli,squash and bell peppers sliced or frozen vegetables
- Salt to taste
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add garlic; cook and stir about 20 seconds. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, place steamer basket. Add 1 cup water; heat to boiling.
- Add cut-up vegetables to basket; cover and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- To serve, place vegetables in a serving bowl. Add butter mixture; toss gently to coat. Add salt to taste if using.
Steaming requires no added fat, and vitamins remain in the vegetables instead of leaching into the water, as can happen with boiling. When served raw, if not chewed thoroughly, vegetables can cause polyps to form on the inner tract of the colon. Proper steaming of your vegetables leaves the vitamins and minerals intact, while also saving your tummy lots of trouble. You can use any variety of vegetables in season, or not…even frozen vegetables.