I like to make my focaccia bread into something like a pizza so I add a variety of toppings including sausages and cheese to have it for lunch.
But if you decide to make the basic rosemary/sage or oregano and olive oil focaccia topping, this can go well with salad or can be used as an accompaniment to steak. Focaccia also makes nice sandwich bread.
For the dough
- 3 1/2 Cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm water (45 degrees C/ 110 degrees F)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp instant/active dry yeast
For the Toppings
- 4 Chicken sausages chopped
- 1/2 Bell Peppers(yellow,green,red) chopped
- 4 tbsps Cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tbsps Garlic cushed
Food Processor Method
- Combine all of the Dough ingredients and with a dough hook, beat at high speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons olive oil into a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Scoop the sticky batter into the prepared pan, cover the pan, and let it rise at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, as the dough is resting.
- Gently poke the dough all over with your index finger.
- Drizzle it lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and crushed garlic. Then layer with the bell peppers, sausages and cheese on top.(I always make my layers in this order)
- Bake the bread until it’s golden brown, 30 minutes. Remove it from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack and cut into pieces. Serve warm.
By Hand method
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Sprinkle the yeast into that well. Carefully pour the water into the well. Let stand until the yeast begins to act, about 5 minutes. Pour 3 tablespoons of the oil into the well. With a wooden spoon stir the mixture in the centre of the bowl. Gradually widen the circle of stirring to take in all of the flour at the sides of the well.
- Turn out on a floured surface, and knead just until smooth. Keep the dough soft. Pour 1/2 teaspoon of oil into a clean bowl. Place the dough in the bowl, turning once to oil the top. Cover. Let rise until doubled, Approximately 1 hour.
- Gently poke the dough all over with you index finger.
- Drizzle it lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and crushed garlic. Then layer with the bell peppers, sausages and cheese on top.
- Bake the focaccia until it's golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove it from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then turn it out of the pan onto a rack and cut into pieces. Serve warm.
Olive oil, all-purpose flour, instant yeast, and warm water.
You can add a variety of toppings depending on your choice. For purely vegan focaccia you can add, garlic, herbs like oregano, basil, rosemary, or sage, olives, chopped onions, and vegetables such as cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and mixed peppers. The focaccia bread can be used as a starter when just drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with rosemary.